Like with all positions at Jane, the Engineering Manager position is a remote position, allowing you to work anywhere you want across Canada.
Jane is looking for an engineering manager to lead an amazing team of developers in building out some of our most core features at Jane. You’ll first and foremost act as a coach for your team, helping build them into the best versions of themselves they can be. You’ll accomplish this by helping guide them in technical and architectural decisions, provide feedback on their work and help develop their career. You’ll partner with your counterparts on the product and design teams to deeply understand customer needs, ensure that we’re building the best possible product for them and evolving our technical stack and system in the process.
We really want the people who work at Jane to love being here, so it’s important that we start off with a bit about what makes our company unique. Here are some specifics about what Jane is all about and with these, hopefully, you have a better idea if this might be the kind of company you want to be part of.
Jane is a home-grown, profitable startup. This means we’ve been growing a real business out of our own revenue for over 7 years now. We have the luxury and security of not having a zero-cash date like some venture-backed companies.
Jane was founded by a product-person and a customer-person, who are now the Co-CEOs. This means the two main teams at Jane (the product and the customer support team) are both led by doers who understand the job. We don’t have any suits here. We don’t even have a sales team! We’re building a really good product that is selling fast because people love it.
Jane is headquartered in North Vancouver but is a remote-first employer, welcoming candidates from anywhere in Canada. In order to keep our employees, candidates, and community safe during the COVID-19 pandemic, our team is working from home across Canada. All interviewing, onboarding and most work will take place remotely for the foreseeable future.
We do have a great office in North Vancouver, overlooking both the mountains and the ocean, and that will be available for people to work in once the pandemic restrictions are removed. But we’re really focused on creating a great hybrid work experience, where working remotely or in an office both offer an exceptional work environment.
Jane’s road map is exciting. Well, we think so. We have some interesting and challenging projects on the go, including our own (J)analytics platform, marketplaces, global insurance integrations, enhancing our telehealth experience, and introducing features like secure HIPAA compliant chat. And, of course, security as a whole across Jane. Not to mention the fascinating journey of scaling our team and processes.
We offer reasonable hours, competitive salaries, and great benefits. More than that, we offer a chance to help build something special, which we back up with an employee stock option plan that ensures that everyone has a chance to share in Jane’s success.
What you’ll be doing
- You are a coach first and foremost, with a strong track record of growing developers in their personal growth and careers
- Partnering with your product and design counterparts to shape team direction and strategy
- Support the team in breaking down large projects and ship new capabilities in a reliable, safe and fast manner that consistently delivers value to customers in a way that aligns with Jane’s principles
- Foster a collaborative, inclusive and supportive team culture based on Jane’s values and principles
What you bring to the team
- 2+ years of development management experience in building products for customers at scale
- Experience driving career growth for developers of all levels
- Experience building and supporting large products in a safe and reliable manner
- You have experience driving a modern software development lifecycle
- You have been a developer yourself and bring a minimum of 5 years of individual contributor experience
- You have a desire to learn and improve the status quo
- Extended healthcare from day one.
- Parental top-up.
- Participation in Jane’s employee stock option plan (JSOP).
- Investment in your career development & growth.
- $500 annual health spending account.
- Generous vacation policy along with your birthday off!
- Three annual Jane-cation days: additional days off.
If you want to get started, tell us your story.