Jane is looking for a People (HR) Business Partner who will be responsible for helping to coach and guide our leaders and managers on People-related matters at Jane. You’ll be our first People Business Partner and so we’re looking for someone who can both do the role and help us think about how we’ll scale this role into the future. You will have some knowledge of HR practices and language so that you’ll bring some experience with things like performance management, guiding managers on developing talent, and drafting policies. And yet you also have a reputation for not following the standard HR “playbook”; the idea of experimenting with new ways of engaging employees and not just mitigating risks is really exciting for you.
Like with all positions at Jane, the People Business Partner is a remote position, allowing you to work anywhere you want across Canada.
We really want the people who work at Jane to love being here, so it’s important that we start off with a bit about what makes our company unique. Here are some specifics about what Jane is all about and with these, hopefully you have a better idea if this might be the kind of company you want to be part of.
Jane is a home-grown, profitable startup. This means we’ve been growing a real business out of our own revenue for over 7 years now. We have the luxury and security of not having a zero-cash date like some venture-backed companies.
Jane was founded by a product-person and a customer-person, who are now the Co-CEOs. This means the two main teams at Jane (the product and the customer support team) are both led by doers who understand the job. We don’t have any suits here. We don’t even have a sales team! We’re building a really good product that is selling fast because people love it.
Jane is headquartered in North Vancouver but is a remote-first employer, welcoming candidates from anywhere in Canada. In order to keep our employees, candidates, and community safe during the COVID-19 pandemic, our team is working from home across Canada. All interviewing, onboarding and most work will take place remotely for the foreseeable future.
Jane does have a great office in North Vancouver, overlooking both the mountains and the ocean, and that will be available for people to work in once the pandemic restrictions are removed. But we’re really focused on creating a great hybrid work experience, where working remotely or in an office both offer an exceptional work environment.
Jane’s road map is exciting. We have some interesting and challenging projects on the go including covid vaccination scheduling, video conferencing, global insurance integrations, our own (J)analytics platform & marketplaces! Not to mention the fascinating journey of scaling our team and processes.
Jane offers reasonable hours, competitive salaries, and great benefits. More than that, we offer a chance to help build something special, which we back up with an employee stock option plan that ensures that everyone has a chance to share in Jane’s success.
What you’ll be doing:
- Support, coach, and develop the people who lead others across Jane.
- Provide assistance with People strategy through providing input on communications, surveys, team events and other change management activities.
- Support employees and teams experiencing conflict with coaching and tooling
- Help ensure that everyone is having at least annual career conversations and continually refine the process to meet the needs of various departments
- Develop and administer human-centered policies and practices to help create a happy, healthy and connected Jane team.
- Be responsible for ensuring that our performance management process is running smoothly
What you bring to the team:
- 4+ years experience in various People/HR functions. Bonus points if you have experience at a software development or a startup.
- Proficiency and familiarity with the standard People/HR processes: employee relations, compensation, talent management, and recruitment.
- Working knowledge of the BC Employment Standards Act. Bonus points for other jurisdictions.
- Strong planning and project management skills to ensure that People initiatives get rolled out successfully.
- Ability to work quickly and independently, as you’ll be the first People Business Partner to join the team.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. This includes group facilitation and presentation skills, plus an understanding of what it looks like to coach and train leaders.
- Decent spreadsheet skills—you’re comfortable plugging in numbers and using formulas in Google Sheets or Microsoft Excel to help you make sense of the world.
- Being comfortable explaining the “why” behind your recommendations, and in doing so, you’ll help us consider the costs of risk mitigation on employee engagement.
- Plan/coordinate/implement training initiatives for Jane people managers and staff
Compensation & Benefits:
- Extended healthcare from day one
- Participation in Jane’s Employee Stock purchase plan (JSOP)
- Investment into your career development & growth
- $500 annual wellness plan.
- Generous vacation policy along with your birthday off
If this sounds like something you’re interested in, tell us your story.