Ruby expert? Ruby savvy and looking to extend your Rails skills or just work with a larger team? We want to talk!
All job postings for tech start ups end up sounding the same, so we’ll try to communicate some specifics about what Jane is all about and see if this might be the kind of company you want to be part of.
Jane is a home-grown, bootstrapped startup. This means we’ve been growing a real business out of our own revenue for over 7 years now. We have the luxury and security of not having a zero-cash date like some venture-backed companies.
Jane was founded by a product-person and a customer-person, who are now the Co-CEOs. This means the two main teams at Jane (the product and the customer support team) are both led by doers who understand the job. We don’t have any suits here. We don’t even have a sales team. We’re building a really good product that is selling fast because people love it.
Jane is headquartered in North Vancouver but is a remote-first employer, welcoming candidates from anywhere in Canada. In order to keep our employees, candidates, and community safe during the COVID-19 pandemic, our team is working from home within Canada. All interviewing, onboarding and most work will take place remotely for the foreseeable future.
When we do make it back in, Jane has a great office overlooking both the mountains and the ocean. Being located at the base of the North Shore mountains has meant that after-work mountain biking and snowboarding is super easy. Some of us have even managed an early morning trail run before starting the day — in small, socially-responsible sized groups, of course.
Jane offers sane hours, competitive salaries, and great benefits. More than that, we offer a chance to help build something special, which we back up with an employee stock option plan that ensures that everyone has a chance to share in Jane’s success.
Our devs get to really own the projects they’re working on from beginning to end. We’re focusing a lot on code quality and getting to nerd out on exploring the best possible ways to build things. At the same time, we’re moving fast: releasing updates daily and being really responsive to what we’re hearing from our users.
Jane’s road map is exciting. We have some interesting and challenging projects on the go including covid vaccination scheduling, video conferencing, global insurance integrations, our own (J)analytics platform & marketplaces! Not to mention the fascinating journey of scaling our team and dev processes.
Our product team also has flexibility. Some choose to start early, some start late and work late. Some do a split shift for a mid-day brain break. We’re open to figuring out a schedule that works for you.
So what are we specifically looking for?
- 3+ years professional Ruby and Rails experience
- Experience with SQL/PostgreSQL
- Comfortable navigating *nix environments
- Excited by technical design discussion and have a passion for making things better
- Strong command of git: comfortable with interactive rebases and dealing with tricky conflicts
- Interested in building integrations, APIs, and transforming data into a variety of obscure legacy formats (thanks to health insurance industry!)
- Works great on your own but even better as part of a team
Bonus points for:
- Experience working in Agile/Scrum development processes
- Experience with ES6/TypeScript and React
- Familiarity with cloud architecture generally and AWS specifically
Compensation & Benefits
- $85k-$140k CAD base salary
- Extended healthcare from day one
- Participation in Jane’s Employee Stock purchase plan (JSOP)
- Investment into your career development & growth
- $500 annual wellness plan.
- Generous vacation policy along with your birthday off
If you’re interested in knowing more about Jane and the opportunity to work here, it would be great to hear from you.