Jane is looking for a Senior Staff Developer (Engineer) to lead a critical product area in a missional, high-performance, hyper-growth company. In this role, you’d have a chance to be the technical leader across multiple teams for an entire business group. As a seasoned developer and technical leader, you can truly exercise your multiplier muscles as a coach and mentor to your development teams, a strong technical advisor to development and product leadership, and a subject matter expert in multiple domains. This isn’t one of those ‘people who can’t do teach’ type of roles, but rather an example of what a true expert looks like with many complex projects and systems under your belt.
Like with all positions at Jane, this position is a remote position, allowing you to work anywhere you want across Canada.
We really want the people who work at Jane to love being here, so it’s important that we start off with a bit about what makes our company unique. Here are some specifics about what Jane is all about, and with these, hopefully, you have a better idea if this might be the kind of company you want to be part of.
We’re a North Vancouver-born SaaS company with a distributed remote team across Canada, and our platform is modernizing the world of practice management software. We enable the likes of physiotherapists, mental health counsellors, chiropractors, and other allied health practitioners to run their practices in a digital-first way through features such as online booking, charting, scheduling, secure video, and billing along with an evolving library of features.
Tens of thousands of healthcare practices globally are now running on Jane. In 2021, we processed over 73 million patient appointments, and our scheduling application alone handles more than 10 million API calls per day.
We’re profitable, product-led and growing organically to the point where 85% of our customer growth is either from customer referrals or word of mouth. Growth like this is unique, especially in the world of SaaS, and it doesn’t happen by chance. We have a brilliant team of over 250 employees who all do an amazing job of listening to our customers, building what they need, and providing industry-leading support.
Last year alone we’ve grown our development team from 36 to 70, and the product team has doubled as a whole. 2022 is going to be a big year for Jane as we’re investing heavily into patient experience with our first patient-facing mobile app, enhancing our telehealth experience, building our own (J)analytics platform, working on global insurance integrations, and introducing new features like HIPAA compliant chat.
Jane is now the number one choice for Allied Healthcare practitioners in Canada. We’re growing quicker in the US than we were here in Canada 3 years ago, and we’re now helping run clinics in 44 countries.
Jane offers reasonable hours, competitive salaries, and great benefits. More than that, we offer a chance to help build something special, which we back up with an employee stock option plan that ensures that everyone has a chance to share in Jane’s success.
To be successful in this role…
- You have a history of being an effective technical leader across multiple teams in a distributed team environment.
- You have helped design, build, and run many complex projects for large SaaS systems from inception to production and have been accountable for the operational and engineering excellence of your team’s product.
- You are comfortable defining and breaking down large projects for iterative delivery of value to customers, using agile methodologies.
- You are a strategic partner to UX, Product, and other technical leaders, able to push and pull through relational influence to help your team and customers succeed.
- You know how to build out medium- and long-term technical strategies, and present these effectively to senior leadership across disciplines in the company.
- You are a proven multiplier; because of you the engineering, operational, and agile excellence of the teams you work with has seen notable improvement.
- You are a champion of the customer, obsessed with knowing how to translate customer needs into technical direction and vice versa. You are vocal about building what matters to customers.
- You know what a highly effective cross-functional Agile DevOps team looks like and know how to motivate your team towards strong ownership.
- You are a master coder, having a very broad and deep expertise in many different technologies, languages, and libraries. You could teach the course on multiple different technical domains.
- You have worked with many different architectural patterns and know which to apply when. You understand monolith, SOA, micro-services, API standards, distributed systems, scaling, containerization, AWS, Serverless, SQL vs NoSQL, and other modern SaaS problems deeply and can guide the team towards what approach to take for what problem.
- You are an evangelist for a DevOps culture, advocating end-to-end ownership of a problem space, from ideation to monitoring and supporting in production.
- You are an excellent communicator, both written and spoken, able to build up technical skills in dev teams, sell ideas to leadership, or convey concepts to non-technical audiences.
- You’ve been part of a rapid growth company before and know how to balance the go fast with build well paradox.
- You have helped transition a team from a more traditional development model towards a DevOps style environment.
- You are an expert in both Ruby and React in a large distributed SaaS system.
- You have helped create stronger boundaries in a large monolith or have helped break a monolith into a SOA or Microservice architecture.
- You have worked with containers in Kubernetes or similar and have a strong understanding of horizontal vs vertical scaling.
- You have a background in modern medical software or a high compliance space like Fintech.
- Extended healthcare from day one.
- Parental top-up.
- Participation in Jane’s employee stock option plan (JSOP).
- Investment in your career development & growth.
- $500 annual health spending account.
- Generous vacation policy along with your birthday off!
- Three annual Jane-cation days: additional days off.
If you want to get started, tell us your story.