We're looking for a motivated and experienced developer who is a demonstrated expert in backend and frontend development, a leader and mentor of teams and people and has an eye for great UX. Bonus points if you've got experience with Ruby on Rails and React. On the Practitioner Experience team, our mission is to enable practitioners (i.e. RMTs and physiotherapists) to focus on providing the best patient care. You'll be working towards this mission by refactoring legacy code, building context for yourself and the team around how existing features are meant to work, helping the team deliver on goals, providing valuable input in the design phase, and helping lead and orchestrate development efforts on projects.
Jane is currently a Rails monolith that runs on AWS. Will we be breaking this beast down? Only if it makes sense. We understand that great developers come from a variety of technical backgrounds and we have a recruitment process designed to consider experienced developers from a Java, C#, or Python background that are happy to learn our stack.
Like with all positions at Jane, this position is a remote position, allowing you to work anywhere you want across Canada. Building a delighted team who can delight our customers is part of Jane’s DNA, so even though we’re not a strict 9 to 5 environment, we’re working hard to ensure that you also have a life outside of work. We pride ourselves on flexibility & autonomy, and when it comes to decision making, we take a decentralized approach ensuring that our teams' voices aren't just heard, but are acted upon. We're building something special at Jane, and we back that up with an employee stock option plan that ensures that everyone has a chance to share in Jane’s success.
We really want the people who work at Jane to love being here, so it's important that we start off with a bit about what makes our company unique. Here are some specifics about what Jane is all about, and with these, hopefully, you have a better idea if this might be the kind of company you want to be part of.
We’re a North Vancouver-born SaaS company with a distributed remote team across Canada, and our platform is modernizing the world of practice management software. We enable the likes of physiotherapists, mental health counsellors, chiropractors, and other allied health practitioners to run their practices in a digital-first way through features such as online booking, charting, scheduling, secure video, and billing along with an evolving library of features.
Tens of thousands of healthcare practices globally are now running on Jane. In 2021, we processed over 73 million patient appointments, and our scheduling application alone handles more than 10 million API calls per day. Jane is now the number one choice for Allied Healthcare practitioners in Canada. We’re growing quicker in the US than we were here in Canada 3 years ago, and we’re now helping run clinics in 44 countries.
We’re profitable, product-led, and growing organically to the point where 85% of our customer growth is either from customer referrals or word of mouth. Growth like this is unique, especially in the world of SaaS, and it doesn’t happen by chance. We have a brilliant team of over 250 employees who all do an amazing job of listening to our customers, building what they need, and providing industry-leading support.
Last year alone we’ve grown our development team from 36 to 70, and the product team has doubled as a whole. 2022 is going to be a big year for Jane as we’re investing heavily into patient experience with our first patient-facing mobile app, enhancing our telehealth experience, building our own (J)analytics platform, working on global insurance integrations, and introducing new features like HIPAA compliant chat.
Of course, it's not all about the numbers, but this puts into perspective the scale of Jane, from the thousands of practitioners whose lives are made easier each day to the millions of patients receiving treatment. If you’re the type of person excited by this growth, we’d love to speak with you.
To be successful in this role...
- You have a burning desire to take complexity in and deliver simplicity out. In other words, an addiction to breaking large projects/releases down into simple pieces, communicating and documenting efficiently and succinctly, and writing readable code that ends up making life simpler for users
- You serve yourself and the team equally; You want to make yourself and everyone around you better, by building trust, mentoring and listening to your team mates, clarifying communications, and acting with empathy and respect
- You have a yearning to constantly improve: yourself, the team, and the product
- You will help lead team-wide technical and product processes to ensure robust and informed system designs, healthy peer reviews, and iterative quality deliveries to customers
- You are capable of building a deep empathy for the users of the tens of thousands of clinics we enable, and leverage that to ensure product quality, reliability, privacy, and security are never sacrificed
- You are religious about data: You drive to quantify your successes and failures, using metrics and dashboards
- You employ a methodical approach to problem solving, in both development and production environments
- You will propose and execute projects to define and improve the domain boundaries of the team
So what are we specifically looking for?
- Deep expertise developing in a client-server architecture
- Expert developer across the stack, from database to server to client
- An expert understanding of client/server architectures and patterns, including REST APIs
- Deep experience working in a legacy environment, and multiple examples of how you’ve successfully taken iterative steps to modularize and modernize those
- Experience working in a large volume production environment that’s supported by Ruby on Rails, React, RDS (PostgreSQL), Cloudfront, S3, SES, SQS & Config.
- Highly competitive base salary
- Extended healthcare from day one.
- Parental top-up.
- Participation in Jane’s employee stock option plan (JSOP).
- Investment in your career development & growth.
- $500 annual health spending account.
- Generous vacation policy along with your birthday off!
- Three annual Jane-cation days: additional days off.
At Jane, we’re committed to fostering an environment that allows you to come to work as your truest self. We believe it’s important to actively recognize, embrace, and celebrate our differences in order to make Jane an inclusive, equitable, and diverse workplace.
We want to build a team of people who make conversations rich with perspective and experience. We are committed to listening to every voice in order to learn and grow because doing this will allow us to meet the needs of the diverse community of helpers that Jane serves.
We do not tolerate discrimination, prejudice, or oppressive isms of any kind. Employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, experience, and the needs of the Jane community. We encourage anyone who requires accommodation or adjustments throughout the interview process to let us know, and we will do our best to support you.